Use the Virginia Department of Elections Citizen Portal to register to vote, check your registration status, find your polling place, or apply to vote absentee by mail! Use the link above or scan this QR code to go to the portal.
Voting on Election Day
Virginia law requires all voters to provide either an acceptable form of ID or sign an ID Confirmation Statement at the polls. Voters arriving at the polls without an acceptable form of ID will be required to either sign an ID Confirmation Statement or vote a provisional ballot. If a voter votes a provisional ballot, they will have until noon on the Friday following the election to deliver a copy of identification to their locality’s electoral board or sign an ID Confirmation Statement in order for their provisional ballot to be counted. Please see below in Provisional Ballot Process for Voters Who Arrive Without Identification for more information on how the provisional ballot process will work for those arriving to the polls without ID.
Refer to Montgomery County’s maps of voter precincts and districts.
If you aren’t sure which precinct you live in, find out where you vote.
How to Register to Vote
Office of Voter Registrar
Montgomery County Government Center
755 Roanoke Street, Suite 1F
Christiansburg, VA 24073
Phone: (540) 382-5741, Fax: (540) 381-6811
M-F 8:30 am to 5 pm
- Online using the Virginia Department of Elections website
- In person at the Voter Registrar’s office listed above
- By mail; check the Voter Registrar’s website or call (540) 382-5741 for information about registering by mail
To Register to Vote in Virginia, a Person Must:
- Be a United States citizen and a resident of Virginia.
- Be 18 years old. (Any person who is 17 years old and will be 18 at the next general election shall be permitted to register in advance and also vote in any intervening primary or special election.)
- Have had voting rights restored if ever convicted of a felony.
- Have had capacity restored if ever declared mentally incapacitated in a Circuit Court.
Restoration of Voting Rights
Consult the Secretary of the Commonwealth’s website for information on restoration of voting rights, or consult the Virginia Cares website or call them at (540) 342-9344.
The rules for voter registration for college students are in the Student Voter section of the Virginia Department of Elections web site.
Confirmation of Voter Registration
The Montgomery County Voter Registrar will send a letter showing the correct place for voting. Contact the Registrar if the letter is not received. Call the Registrar at (540) 382-5741 for information about registering to vote in another state, or how to register after the deadline if you are away on active military duty.
Deadlines for absentee voting vary depending on the election date. You can obtain information about absentee voting on the Virginia Department of Elections website, or you can call the Voter Registrar at (540) 382-5741.
You don’t make progress by standing on the sidelines, whimpering and complaining. You make progress by implementing ideas.